Pages

Thursday, October 17, 2013

Characters: And why they are imporant

If you are like me, then you have trouble writing characters. It's not that I don't know my characters, I do (maybe a little too well), but sometimes I have trouble portraying how intense these characters are onto the page. It just doesn't come out right. It sound like I'm adding bits of unnecessary information, or obvious foreshadowing, and my characters fall flat on their face. I am a plot-driven author, which I have come to realize, because I think my plots are what make people like my writing. But characters get in my way of writing that intricate plot.

Because maybe what I want to happen, doesn't happen, because that isn't what my character would do. Maybe my character would sit around for seven chapters thinking about what to do, and that would be a very boring seven chapters indeed. So when I start thinking about my new novel (Temporary Title:) The Grimm Society I have to think about what my characters would do during outlining, so this problem wouldn't hit me later.

So here were my ideas.

Add a subplot... or five. If you need too spice up your character without changing too much of the story, add a subplot. Creating romantic twists, or a mini quest can easily make the lives of your characters more interesting without changing the route of the story. I just added two involving the two things that never fail in writing. Love and Death.

A day away with your character. Spend your time getting to know your character. Discover new things about them. Write from a day of their life before the story begins. Discover new things about them like their MBTI type, their favorite music, or even the origin story of why they prefer whole wheat bread to regular. Just spend that day getting to know them. Sure afterwards you'll feel like you know WAY too much, but eventually you will be happy you did it.

Add an interesting phobia or quirk. Will Herondale doesn't like ducks. I will never forget that even thought I read the book (Clockwork Angel by Cassandra Clare) that it is mentioned in long ago. So A great way to add more to your character (and make them more believable too) is to give them a weird habit or interesting fact. You can even take it from yourself. I bite my lip when I'm nervous, excited, scared, extremely happy, thinking hard, bored, or writing. My main character bites her lip too. It is something I can relate too, and something interesting.

That's all I got, but be sure to tell me more in the comments below!


No comments:

Post a Comment